June is National Safety Month. In your home, safety starts with a few improvements in design. These improvements allow for a more comfortable living environment. They also will make it easier to “age in place,” because when you retire in Williamsburg, I want to make sure you buy and improve your FOREVER home.
Preventing Slips, Trips and Falls
Falls in the home are very common and the third leading cause of unintentional death. Falls can cause devastating changes in health status and independence. Any changes that can be made to the home which will help prevent falls should be addressed immediately.
- levered doorknobs
- grab bars in bathrooms and showers
- levered faucets in sinks
- room transitions that use beveled thresholds to prevent tripping
- widened doors to accommodate wheelchairs
- a first-floor master (or at least a bedroom and shower on the first floor).
- handrails on both sides of all stairwells and on front and rear steps
- shower wand rather than a shower head
- consider the height of your mattress, as higher beds are typically easier to get in and out of
- tile the kitchen or bath, using non-skid tiles
- set on-demand water heaters to a maximum of 120 degrees to avoid scalding
- appliances should have large-sized buttons, easy-to-read displays and have a safety feature that has an auto-shutoff
- movement detection light switches detect movement and will turn on the lights automatically when you enter a room and will turn off, automatically, when there is no one in the room
Generally, the safer your home, the more you will thrive and prolong good health. Whether minor adjustments or major improvements are made to the home, these changes will make a considerable difference in daily living. I hope this guide provides you some direction as you search to Retire in Williamsburg.
What safety must-haves have I left out?
Have you liked us on Facebook, yet?
Rolf Kramer, REALTOR®, ABR, SRES, e-PRO
Licensed in Virginia
Liz Moore and Associates,
5350 Discovery Park Blvd.
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Williamsburg has become a Mecca for retirees over the past dozen years because of its history, charm, vacation amenities, proximity to major cities and airports, and affordable cost of living. Check out www.retiringinwilliamsburg.com for information about the Williamsburg community, lifestyles available, and search for homes for sale.