As you approach retirement, you may realize that your parents retired in the community where they spent most of their lives. Far less than 10% took the significant step of moving somewhere else for retirement; most moved into a smaller place, across town. But YOU, my friend, pride yourself on doing things differently and will, undoubtedly, be willing to take bolder steps. You’ve probably moved several times and have dreams you want to live out. You also, likely, have the resources to look around, move to a dream community, or even have more than one home. Here are vital differences between you and your parents, as you choose to retire:
- You want to remain active and take on new activities, in retirement. The communities that you look at are made up of phrases like: golf course, country club, resort living, active-adult, or active adult – you are not a “senior.”
- You moved away from home to live, raise a family, and now to retire.
- You will probably live in two places – maintaining a connection to your roots and spending winter, warmer.
- Your new community is likely very creative, not just a clubhouse with a community dining room – but you have golf, tennis, gyms, and dance/arts & craft classes.
- You sought out a small-town feel because it feels good when everyone knows one another and has a sense of community.
- Culture is a part of your life; you go to sporting events, college football games, the theater, and concerts. You want to live around like-minded neighbors.
- You may even still be working, in retirement, because you want to.
Retiring in Williamsburg assumes that you are an original. You want choices, diversity, stimulation, and a creative and active life. If the idea of traditional retirement doesn’t appeal to you, you’ve come to the right place: Williamsburg, Virginia is anything but ordinary – it is the perfect blend of mild weather, culture, activities, history, small-town appeal, and continuing education. Make an appointment for a tour, a discussion of what you are looking for, and let’s get this next phase of your life started!
Where did your parents retire to? Tell us about that and what you’d change.
Have you liked us on Facebook, yet?
Rolf Kramer, REALTOR®, ABR, SRES, e-PRO
Licensed in Virginia
Liz Moore and Associates,
5350 Discovery Park Blvd.
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Williamsburg has become a Mecca for retirees over the past dozen years because of its history, charm, vacation amenities, proximity to major cities and airports, and affordable cost of living. Check out www.retiringinwilliamsburg.com for information about the Williamsburg community, lifestyles available, and search for homes for sale.