Does home staging really work? “We are so convinced that having a listing professionally staged means a quicker sale and higher net proceeds for our sellers,” says Liz Moore, “that we are now going to provide an initial staging consultation to our listing clients at our expense.” According to a recent Home Gain survey, 94% of homes staged by a professional stager sold in 29 days or less, compared to an average of 145 days for a non-staged home. Even more compelling is the finding that the $724 invested in staging (the national average cost) netted the seller $2,145 more in price – a 196% return on investment (ROI).
A staging consultation is in addition to the legendary Liz Moore “No Surprises” program: a pre-listing appraisal and up-front home inspection provided to the Liz Moore sellers – all at no cost to the clients. What does a home stager do? One of Trez Robinson’s, at Stage 2 Sell, favorite mantra is that she is a de-decorator. A stager’s role to take away the personality and the style of the current owner so that the prospective purchaser can more easily visualize themselves moving in.
There are a number of ways to De-Decorate:
- Remove personal photos and effects.
- De-clutter so that buyers focus on the “bones” of a house rather than the distractions of the stuff in the house.
- Neutralize colors, so that the prospective buyers don’t object to the current owner’s personal taste, or that they will need to invest time and money in repainting before they move in (Need to neutralize? Trez recommends Sherman Williams Believable Buff).
- Remove any “extra” furniture, so rooms look and feel more spacious.
- Remove any “extra” things on shelves, mantles and tables – minimalize, so lookers are seeing the room, not your things.
- Remove window treatments – let the light shine in!
Have you liked us on Facebook, yet?
Rolf Kramer, REALTOR®, ABR, SRES, e-PRO 757-564-4455 Licensed in Virginia with Liz Moore and Associates, 5350 Discovery Park Blvd, Williamsburg, VA 23188 Williamsburg has become a Mecca for retirees over the past dozen years because of its history, charm, vacation amenities, proximity to major cities and airports, and affordable cost of living. Check out www.retiringinwilliamsburg.com for information about the Williamsburg community, lifestyles available, and search for homes for sale.