The first Thursday of each month, the Patriots Colony in Williamsburg will put on lectures and educational presentations about aging. All presentations include a complimentary lunch. The meetings run from 10am-12:45pm. Here is the full schedule of the Patriots Colony’s Active Aging Series, in Williamsburg.
- June 4 – “The Joy of Aging Mindfully,” presented by Lori Deckert, President, Inward Bound Mindfulness Education. Lori Deckert is President of Inward Bound Mindfulness Education (iBme), a non-profit organization which provides mindfulness training and residential retreats for adults, adolescents, and professionals in the fields of education and social work/psychology. Lori will discuss current research about the aging brain and mindfulness and will demonstrate examples of formal versus information meditation.
- July 2 – “Eating for Energy,” presented by Deborah Dunn, Owner, SAGE Holistic Health. Deborah has studied many diverse cultures, foods, and lifestyles. Energetics of Food and Traditional Herbal Medicine are a few of the teachings she draws upon when helping clients create a personalized road map to health. Deborah will give some examples of nutritious foods that can increase your energy, maintain your health and possibly prolong your life. Deborah received her B.S. in Holistic Nutrition from Clayton College of Natural Health.
- August 6 – “Plan for Your Future – Make it Happen,” presented by David Clemens, Vice President and Branch Manager, Williamsburg Morgan Stanley. David is a Financial Advisor and Portfolio Manager and he focuses on comprehensive wealth management for families. He will discuss achieving your financial dreams and help you create a customized strategy to reach your destination.
- September 3 – “Downsizing in 2015 – What You Should Know,” presented by Ellen Smith Gajda, Owner & Principal Broker and Jay Ponton, Associate Broker, Williamsburg Realty. With over 40 years of combined experience, Ellen and Jay focus on working with ‘baby boomers and beyond.’ They will discuss the importance of preparing, staging and correctly pricing your home, downsizing issues involved with moving, and how to find your next dream home.
- October 1 – “Gerotranscendence: Beyond Aging and Getting Old,” presented by Amanda Deverich, Licensed Therapist, Williamsburg Counseling. The current concept of successful aging includes avoiding disease, remaining productive, and forming social relationships. Amanda will explain a theory that suggests the opposite – Gerotranscendence – which is a withdrawal into your own consciousness, and is a completely normal and healthy way to age.
- November 5 – “Geriatric Assessment: Self Examination,” presented by Rick Jackson, Executive Director, Riverside Center for Excellence in Aging and Lifelong Health (CEALH). CEALH is a not for profit agency dedicated to improving the quality of life for older adults and caregivers through research and specialized geriatric services, including geriatric assessments. Rick will provide detailed knowledge of the components of a geriatric assessment, including screening and tools used in a clinic, and he will help you conclude your own diagnosis.
If you are interested in joining any of the lecture days, please RSVP, below, as these lectures are a first come, first serve basis.
Where: Patriots Colony is located at 6200 Patriots Colony Dr. in Williamsburg. Attendees must be age 55 or older.
When: The first Thursday of each month
Time: 10am – 12:45pm
RSVP IN ONE OF THREE WAYS:
BY PHONE: 757-724-7001
ONLINE: CLICK HERE
Follow this blog for Williamsburg events, discounts, or things to do, off the beaten path. I love living in Williamsburg and would love to help you find your forever home! Follow me on Facebook or Pinterest.
Rolf Kramer, REALTOR®, ABR, SRES, e-PRO 757-564-4455 Licensed in Virginia with Liz Moore and Associates, 5350 Discovery Park Blvd, Williamsburg, VA 23188 Williamsburg has become a Mecca for retirees over the past dozen years because of its history, charm, vacation amenities, proximity to major cities and airports, and affordable cost of living. Check out www.retiringinwilliamsburg.com for information about the Williamsburg community, lifestyles available, and search for homes for sale.