If you hike, kayak, bike or are just a nature enthusiast – you will find no shortage of outdoorsy things to do in and around Williamsburg. This summer make it a point to wander off the beaten path and get outdoors. Bring the bike or boat to one of these great parks:
- New Quarter Park is adjacent to the Colonial Parkway and close to Williamsburg, this park offers a tranquil woodland setting and the pleasures of outdoor recreation. Mountain biking, hiking/walking, fishing, kayaking/canoeing, playgrounds, picnicking and 18-hole disc golf course. Access to Queens Creek and York River.
- Get over to the Chickahominy Riverfront Park to enjoy 140-acres on the banks of the beautiful Chickahominy River. Camping, fishing, boating, boat ramp and fishing pier. Rent canoes, kayaks and boats with motors. Boat/RV storage available.
- Right down the road from the College of William & Mary, the scenic park of College Landing Park, provides a lookout tower and marsh walkway through College Creek. Enjoy the walkway, kayak/canoe launch and wildlife.
- Get the bike out (motor bike or bicycle) and take a leisurely drive along the scenic 23-mile Colonial Parkway that provides a physical and metaphorical link between Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown. Scenic driving, interpretive pull-offs, biking and fishing are available along this National Scenic Byway.
- Go visit the Yorktown Waterfront! Right on the York River in Historic Yorktown, this beach front offers a relaxing day for everyone and provides a variety of outdoor activities for the entire family. Whether it’s fishing, boating, picnicking or relaxing on the beach, it is perfect for families, all in a peaceful setting adjacent to Riverwalk Landing.
- If you are ready for a quiet, out-of-the-way day on the water, check out Little Creek Reservoir Park. This scenic park overlooks a 996-acre reservoir that’s a fisherman’s paradise. Perfect for outdoor family time in the Williamsburg area. Fishing, boating, picnicking, canoeing, kayaking, jon boats and launch-your-own boat ramp. Boat rentals available.
- Waller Mill is a beautiful park, close to everything and a community favorite. Overlooking a 343-acre lake, the park provides a variety of outdoor activities – boating, kayaking, canoeing, pedal boating, hiking, fishing, picnicking and playgrounds. Boat rentals are available.
- Powhatan Creek Park is a great way to see Jamestown Island. Powhatan Creek is part of the Chesapeake Gateways Network created by the National Park Service and the Chesapeake Bay Program. Provides free access to Jamestown Island and the James River. Small boat/canoe launch with parking.
This summer – get outside and get off the beaten path of Williamsburg, Virginia. If you have just moved here, follow this blog for inspiration. If you are thinking of moving to Williamsburg – you’ve made it to the right blog. I specialize in helping retirees find their perfect home – that suits their interests, their lifestyle and their activity level. If you are retiring in Williamsburg – call me. Let’s talk!
Have you liked us on Facebook, yet?
Rolf Kramer, REALTOR®, ABR, SRES, e-PRO 757-564-4455 Licensed in Virginia with Liz Moore and Associates, 5350 Discovery Park Blvd, Williamsburg, VA 23188 Williamsburg has become a Mecca for retirees over the past dozen years because of its history, charm, vacation amenities, proximity to major cities and airports, and affordable cost of living. Check out www.retiringinwilliamsburg.com for information about the Williamsburg community, lifestyles available, and search for homes for sale.