I gathered these tips from the National Ageing-In-Place Council
- Consider a no-step entry to enter the home and for transitioning from one room to another, throughout the house
- Install adjustable handheld showerhead that can lower and raise to different heights, from within the shower
- Lower the bathroom sink. Make sure there is room for a wheelchairs could roll up and under the counter
- Install an elevated toilet and grab bar
- Vary the heights of the counters in the kitchen’s countertops for standing, sitting and wheelchair height
- Mount microwave at a reachable height from a wheelchair
- Install handles vs knobs on cabinets and all doors
- Choose cabinets with easy-to-roll out shelves and drawers
Have you liked us on Facebook, yet?
Rolf Kramer, REALTOR®, ABR, SRES, e-PRO 757-564-4455 Licensed in Virginia with Liz Moore and Associates, 5350 Discovery Park Blvd, Williamsburg, VA 23188 Williamsburg has become a Mecca for retirees over the past dozen years because of its history, charm, vacation amenities, proximity to major cities and airports, and affordable cost of living. Check out www.retiringinwilliamsburg.com for information about the Williamsburg community, lifestyles available, and search for homes for sale.